Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 12, 2010

Oh, Sony. When Will You People LEARN?

You guys remember that time that the Wii experimented with games that gave their players full control of their avatar's motions via 1:1 sensitivity? Great. Do you ALSO remember how everyone hated it?

See, Video Game Industry, the thing about motion controllers is... 1:1 control, in theory, sounds AWESOME. Full control over my sword-swings? Manual aiming at last? The ability to seduce (IN REAL TIME) every female in Mass Effect? Hell yes, I'll take two. But, here's the dark, depressing truth: gamers are not the Hero of Tamriel; gamers are not Soap MacTavish; what gamers are, however, are fantasy/sci-fi enthusiasts who are in love with being able to pretend they are these characters without being insulted for their lack of real-world skill with a sword or a gun.

The problem with every motion-controller game is we don't know how to swing a katana in such a way that we cleave into a Nazi's delicious, un-stabby-ized neck meat. (well, I don't, anyway...)

So, I say, enough with full immersion. I just want to be able to end the Reaper threat. And it's a lot easier to do that if Commander Shepard isn't being played by a twitchy, nervous n3w8.

And on a side-note... BioWare: who do I have to do what to to get to find out anything about Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age 2? Because I will. BioWare Crack Whores Anonymous, AWAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

San Jose, California, United States
From beginnings that almost made me one of the dreaded "beautiful people", I've dedicated myself to one simple goal: making sure I stay the HELL away from mainstream pop culture. As a secondary goal, I wanted nothing more than to have a helping hand in rearing the third wave of angry, mal-adjusted, overly-intellectual nerds. Heavy metal. Comic books. Movies. Sci-fi. Lord of the Rings. Led Zeppelin. Conan the Barbarian. Conan the (now-ex) Late-Night Host. Bizarre sexual fantasies involving women of varying degrees of badassedness. Bruce Campbell. Joss Whedon. All of these things, and so, so much more, I will address. And rave about. Or pan, as it may be necessary to do. Till Ragnarok, my brothers! Excelsior!